Boxers can be classified as medium to large breed dogs. They are very active and energetic, and thus their food consumption is relatively higher in comparison to other dog breeds.
Boxers are very susceptible to gas issues, also known as gastric dilation.
The dog’s stomach becomes so filled with gas, causing a lot of discomforts as well as difficulty in breathing. Gas in boxers is in most cases caused by the inability to digest food fully. Others causes of gas include:
- Dairy products
There are certain dog foods that you can feed to your boxer to minimize the risk of bloating as well as to ease the discomfort that comes with it. We review the top three to help you make an informed decision.
Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets
The food is manufactured by Purina company.
This is a prescription dog food formulated to help in treating digestive issues in dogs.
It is not an over-the-counter dog food, and you require a prescription from your vet to purchase this food.
This is a wet dog food which could make it more palatable and appealing to dogs which have lost appetite since wet foods are generally more savoury. It could encourage your dog to attempt eating again despite his prevailing condition.
Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets EN Gastroenteric Formula Canned Dog Food is made for adult dogs only, and it is not suitable for puppies. Some of the main ingredients in this dog food are:
- Meat by-product
- Soy, among others
- Highly palatable dog food suitable for dogs that have lost interest in eating
- Has animal protein as the main ingredients which guarantee high-quality protein
- Contains very nutritious liver
- Quite affordable
- Prescription-only dog food which reduces the instances of abuse
- Has soy which is not safe for dogs
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal HE Dry Dog Food
This dog food is owned and manufactured by Royal Canin.
If your boxer is suffering gastrointestinal problems, you would probably want to change his diet to a more easy-to-digest recipe.
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet-Gastrointestinal High Energy Dry Canine Formula is a highly nutritious dog food which has been formulated to meet the needs of dogs who suffer from digestive conditions.
It is a veterinary-exclusive dry food for adult dogs with mild or chronic digestive issues. Also, this is a high energy diet making it suitable for boxers who are incredibly energetic and active.
This food is also recommended for dogs who have an unhealthy balance of the gut bacteria. Fortunately or unfortunately, only your pet’s vet can ascertain this, and this is what makes this dog a prescription-only food.
Some of the ingredients present in this dog food include:
- Chicken by-product meal
- Brown rice
- Brewers rice
- Chicken fat
- Eggs, among others
- It is a high energy diet suitable for adult dogs with high energy requirements
- Brown rice provides the energy needed by your dog to be active
- Chicken fat contains omega 6 fatty acids which promote healthy skin and coat
- The recipe has a perfect combination of both animal and plant-based proteins
- Like all gastrointestinal recipes, this dog food is not sweet, and so you have to force your dog to eat
- The kibble size is too small for some boxers
Instinct Recipe Natural Wet Canned Dog Food
When your dog has a delicate stomach, it is essential to be keen about his diet and to ascertain the ingredients in the canned food. This limited ingredient dog food is made to minimize the risk of allergy in your boxer specifically.
It is a grain-free dog food formulated with pasture-fed lamb, which is easy to digest and is packed by all the essential amino acids.
There no ingredients such as soy, corn, grains, and such which are known to trigger food allergies. This wet dog food will deliver complete and balanced nutrition from natural ingredients. Also, the recipe is fortified with omega 3 fatty acids that promote immune system as well as a healthy coat and fur.
Instinct food brand is known to craft pet food products that fight allergies in both dogs and cats
- Fewer ingredients to minimize the risk of allergies and sensitivities
- Wet food which may be appealing to dogs who have lost their appetites
- Pasture fed lamb is easy to digest and does not irritate the stomach
- Eliminates fillers and any other ingredients that might trigger an allergic reaction
- The protein source is not sufficient for high-energy breeders
- Some packages are so watery
Getting a nutritious dog food for your gassy furry friend can be so frustrating as there are countless options in the market all promising good results.
It is essential to read the ingredients properly to ensure you don’t buy a product that will aggravate your dog’s situation.
Also, some of these formulas will require an authorization letter from the vet before purchasing them. It is therefore vital to engage a veterinary so that he can identify the exact cause of gas in your dog and give you the go-ahead to buy a gastrointestinal formula.